Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Entertaining Angels

Hebrews 13:2. "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."



I had a yard sale on the front lawn of  our apartment building in Los Angeles, before I left Southern California in 2008. On the morning of the first day, a man came by and stopped to talk. He was an ordinary looking man, not rich, not poor, nothing stood out about him. He said he was in charge of that entire area, that he knew everything that went on there, and that even when a prostitute died, he was the first one to know about it. I didn't know what to think of that, but he seemed rational and pleasant, and sincere. 

Before he left, he told me this story about a friend of his.. her husband had died, and his family, her in-laws, had embezzled everything he owned, leaving the woman in dire straits. She had to support her disabled brother by working two jobs, one as a maid in a large hotel. It took her years of hardship and endurance to recover her property, but eventually she did, and lo & behold, she was the owner of the fine hotel she worked as a maid at. In closing, he said "I'll tell you what I told her. Keep Going." 

I think of his advice often, when I'm so tired and overwhelmed I question whether I can go on. And I consider how perfect that advice was.. Not "hang on" which implies something to hang on to, but "Keep Going" which is more like what you'd tell a man in the desert who doesn't know there is a well over a few more sand hills if he can just keep going, one foot in front of the other. Perfect advice. 

I have a new lump on the left side just above the collarbone area, and it hurts a little on that side when I swallow. Doesn't seem good. I can't afford the things I need and I'm really tired of the struggle to get through each day, each week, each month. I'm alone most of the time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment