Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pathology Reports

I was told that I don't need to see or review my pathology reports in order to make a decision regarding an aggressive course of treatment. (Radiation & Chemotherapy) In fact, I was ridiculed at some length by social worker Jeanette, and told that it was an unusual request, "since most patients simply trust their Doctor". I was asked in an antagonistic voice whether I thought that "we're just going to treat you for cancer you don't have"?  I was initially told that if I wanted to see my pathology reports, I could go down to the basement records dept and get them myself. (Ok, I will) This woman was more than a little pissed at the mere idea that I would question them.  But, the n
ext day a manila envelope was shoved under my Evergreen room door, inside were pathology reports. I think. Since there was no cover letter saying "here are your pathology reports" nor an indication of how they arrived. Two of the reports says I am a "post mastectomy" patient. Not accurate. I have not had a mastectomy.

The social worker at The Evergreen, Jeanette, was clearly surprised and then outraged that I would request to review and get copies of my pathology reports. She expressed her outrage with increasing contempt and disrespect, literally shouting at me in the family room area "I need to know what your plan is !!" 3 times in a row, followed with "I can call the security guards and have you thrown out of here right now, if you don't want to tell me what your plan is, right now!!!" (Stamping her foot and pounding her fist for emphasis)  I  was having some sort of panic attack by that point so I had to sit down and was gasping for air, scary. But at that point I realized that the shortness of breath I had been experiencing was from an anxiety attack not because the cancer was causing my lungs to fill with fluid as I was told. The shortness of breath stopped within minutes of using a calming breath technique. Which is a good thing to know since otherwise I might've had a heart attack right there. Wow. I finally managed to get out inbetween gasping for air that my plan is, as I already told them, to review my pathology reports before making a decision, to which Jeanette responded by yelling " and you got the reports this morning.. !! Her last words to me as I left the room was shouting " ya, well, all I know is, you BETTER Be in radiation or chemotherapy BY Friday, OR, you're OUT OF HERE!"! Delivered in a nasty tone as if she were a bouncer in a bar or a warden in a prison.

Man these people are serious about rounding up their radiation/ chemotherapy patients. ( Maybe they'll get the stun guns and sneakers out next ? One can only wonder...!

12-26-12: Wednesday : I spent Christmas day with my son and his girlfriend and stayed overnight.. ..got a voice message  from Dr. Fratkin at St. Joseph this morning at 10:30 am. saying that the lock to my room at the Evergreen has been changed and my personal things were "secured for me" to pick up . No notice... Big surprise. Seems a bit of Kami-Kazi action going on here. I wonder why. I called St. Joe's medical records department this morning and was told my medical records will be ready to pick up in a few days, after they are signed off by the doctor.

I just signed a Hipaa release ( a few days ago) to allow the North Coast Journal to review all my hospital records at St. Joseph's. Maybe that's what's causing all the angst and snappy decisions. I wonder what it is they don't want found in my records? Must be interesting .., all this strange paranoid reaction... Locking me out of my room with no notice, strongly discouraging and then refusing to provide pathology reports, verbal attack & intimidation, general nastiness and a distinct lack of respect or compassion.



No comments:

Post a Comment